Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Beginning

I have been actively doing genealogy since about 1994, when we got our first computer on which we were able to access the internet. And I have been hooked ever since. I hope to use these pages to share my journey with research, and some of the stories that I have uncovered. I hope that family members might find some of the information interesting! I have 15 years of work to share, and I continue to research. I retired a month ago so hope to have even more time and energy to put into the search!

One of the most exciting things that have occurred in my research happened today!

For years, I have been trying to learn more about my great-grandfather, Charles Seeber. A number of years ago, a researcher in Sweden found his family and was able to give me some accurate information about him, that he had not shared with the family. I have been trying to learn more about him, especially about his life in Sweden and possibly, why he left Sweden when none of his family did. And why he told such elaborate stories about his earlier self.

A couple of weeks ago, a volunteer researcher in Sweden began seeking any relatives to my great-grandfather, Karl Oscar Segh (Charles Oscar Seeber), who left Sweden in 1892 and came to the United States. His parents, August and Matilda Hertel Segh, had 8 children, with only 3 living past early childhood. Karl and his twin brother, Gustaf, were the oldest, then brother Johan. The next 5 children didn't survive. Neither Gustaf nor Johan had children, so the only descendants of August and Matilda were the 6 Seeber children that Charles and his wife, Ingrid, had. Matilda had 3 siblings, and I have had contact with the descendant's of her sister, Johanna, who came to the United states. There are no descendants from her other 2 siblings who remained in Sweden. The descendants of Johanna did not know anything about Charles.

Today, my researcher found that Charles' father, August Segh, had a brother David who does have some descendants living and are anxious to contact with me! Finally, there are some of Charles' family located in Sweden! I am certainly anxious to hear from them!

Other immediate genealogy plans include trying to get to Olney, Illinois this summer to find the gravesites of my great grandfather, Moses Thompson Adamson, and his family. I am hoping to take my Dad with me, as we can explore where the family lived, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment