Monday, August 10, 2009

Researching

Well, today was a good example of all the hours needed for researching one tiny single thing of one's family, and how one little bit of information leads to more searching. 

 I started the afternoon trying to find out more about Crystal, Pembina County, ND, which is where my great-great-grandfather settled when he left Sweden in 1888 (leaving his wife and children behind for evermore). I did many Google searches looking for some history or any information and found little. I checked all of the genealogy message boards related to the state, etc. Posted a query on one of them requesting some history of the area. Checked eBay for anything related to the area. Nothing. 

 Finally, in desperation, I began going through each of his children and looking to see if there was missing information on any of them. Began searching the Social Security Death Index and came up with 5 dates of deaths to take to the library for obituary searches. That was very worthwhile. However, I still couldn't find anything on Charles and Ida Seeber's last child, Earl. I did know that his wife had remarried after his death. She would be about 89 now. She isn't listed in the SS Death Index so I am guessing that she may still be alive. I did a Google search with her name and came up with an article from the LA Times written in 1998 after her second husband died. It listed the married name of Earl's only child. 

 Thus began another search, trying to find an address for her with the information given in the article. I Tried many different searches, and finally, I may have found who I was looking for! In fact, I am positive that it is her. Now, is the address current? I have written a letter to the name and address and here's hoping! 

 Meanwhile, 4 hours online have passed by. Do I feel like it was wasted time? Heck, no! These were possibly huge finds for me! And if I get a response back, and it's her, the whole family will rejoice! After Earl died, the family didn't have much contact (they lived in CA and we are in IL), so we are all anxious to learn how they are, etc. More to follow! Never give up!

Follow-up: 3/11/2024-there was never a response to my letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment