Wednesday, February 21, 2018

#52Ancestors-Week 8-Heirlooms

My great-grandmother, Grandma Murphy (Katherine Hanauer Murphy), had a set of Haviland china that was her "good" china.  I believe that her china was a wedding gift (she married in 1902). She managed to hang on to it, even through the Great Depression.  And when she was older, she determined that the Haviland was to go to her oldest great-granddaughter, who just happened to be me! So, when Grandma Murphy died in 1963, my grandmother kept it for me until I married in 1971, when it was officially passed on to me.  I treasured having it and used it on special occasions!

When my grandmother died, I also got her good china.  One can only have so many sets of "good china".  As my daughters became adults, I was ready to pass on the Haviland.  My oldest daughter already had "good" china and didn't want another set, but my other daughter was very interested in having it, so now it is in the possession of another generation.

**side note: the daughter who has the Haviland has "Murphy" for her middle name, so it made it even more fitting to pass it on to her!





No comments:

Post a Comment