Saturday, March 10, 2018

#52Ancestors-Week 11-Lucky: Having a picture

This week's prompt is "Lucky".  That seemed rather difficult as I thought through it.  Then it occurred to me, as I was writing another post, how lucky I am to have a picture of Mary Murphy Ryan Corrigan.  This is the only picture that I have of any of the seven children of my great-great-great grandparents, James and Alice Read Murphy, who came over to the United States from Ireland.

Mary was my 3rd great aunt.  She was born in County Kilkenny in 1834 and came to the United States with her family in 1849.  Mary lived until 1922, with  only one other sibling surviving her.

I have searched and searched for pictures of the other six children, but so far, I have not been able to locate any, not even of my great-great grandfather, William H.Murphy.  So, right now, I consider myself lucky to have a picture of Mary! Mary is on the far right in the top row.  From this picture, I can begin to imagine what her siblings may have looked like.  That's a start!


No comments:

Post a Comment