Friday, April 13, 2018

#52Ancestors-Week 15-Taxes: 1812 Warren County, Tennessee Tax List

For years, I have been fascinated by the 1812 Warren County, Tennessee Tax List.  I first encountered it while searching for my ggg-grandfather William A. Adamson.  I found an Aaron Adamson in the 1812 Warren County Tax List.

William's oldest son was named Aaron, but he was born around 1809, so it couldn't have been him.  Could it have been William?

Then I learned of Nancy Adamson who married Luke Tippitt.  Guess who is listed in the 1812 Warren County Tax list? Yep, Luke Tippet.  And his brother William Tippitt is listed right next to Aaron Adamson.  I can't make out if the list is divided by districts or precincts, but whichever it is, all three of these men are listed in the same one.

And, in the same precinct/district Stephen Herriman was listed.  Stephen's daughter Sarah married Michael Wilson, brother-in-law to William Adamson.

As I learned more about the Luke Tippitt family, I am quite sure (though not proven) that Nancy Adamson was William Adamson's sister.  Both families ended up in Edwards County, Illinois during the 1820's-1830's.

So taxes.  I wish tax lists could speak of those on the lists. There are so many questions that could be answered by more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment