Wednesday, July 4, 2018

#52Ancestors-Week 27-Independence

This week's prompt is appropriately "Independence".  Yet here I sit feeling deflated because after over 20 years of researching my family, I have yet to find one of my ancestors from the Adamson family or the Ferrel family who fought in the Revolutionary War.  And I have no doubt that the men did fight, I just can't locate records.

John Adamson (married to Ann Skuse) was in New Jersey by 1718.  I am sure that, if not any sons, surely some grandsons, fought in the War.  James Ferrel (married to Hannah Kennison) was born about 1770.  I would guess that his father and/or uncles fought in the War.

And I could go on about more family lines for whom I have been unable to find Revolutionary War records.  It's so frustrating.

The only ancestor that I do know of that fought in the Revolutionary War was Walter Dickerson.  I wrote about him and his War experience for this same blog in 2015 at:

http://suesresearch.blogspot.com/2015/07/independent-walter-dickerson-1763-1855.html

Of course, nothing about Walter has changed since then!

I do have to be proud of my ancestors/family who fought in all of our other wars, from the War of 1812 up to the Iraq war. All of them, along with all of those who have fought each day for our way of life, have given us our Independence.  And the fight goes on.  We need to make our ancestors proud as we continue to fight for our Constitution and all the freedoms that we have.  I am grateful to all of my family who have fought to keep us free and Independent!

No comments:

Post a Comment