Monday, September 24, 2018

52Ancestors-Week 38-Unusual Source

The most surprising (unusual to me) sources that I have found have been individual county censuses.  Early on when I began researching, I found that Peoria, Illinois had an 1888 Census.  It helped me tremendously with my research.  Later, I found that Texas County, Missouri had an 1876 Census.  Again, that helped me fill in some pieces.  I need to continue to search for more of these kind of censuses.  If anyone can add to these two, please let me know!  They really help give a more accurate picture of what was occurring with the families in-between the regular federal censuses.  And the above mentioned censuses showed more than the name of the head of household...they had all the family members names listed.   State Censuses are useful tools, but they only have head of households on them.

So here are the two that I know of:

1876 Texas County, Missouri Census
1888 Peoria, Illinois Census

Please add to this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment