Thursday, July 16, 2015

Road Trip (52 Ancesstors #28)

This week’s challenge is “Road Trip”.  I made a great road trip a number of years ago to Kentucky.  I swung by southern Indiana to pick up my father and we drove down to Crittenden County, Kentucky for an Adamson family reunion.  This was a reunion of the William Adamson family.  When I first began genealogy, none of our family had ever heard of William Adamson from Kentucky.  The furthest back of the Adamson family that any of us had had known of was Aaron Adamson, born around 1807 in Tennessee.  He was my great-grandfather’s father.  After beginning my research, I found that Aaron’s father was William Adamson, born about 1790 in North Carolina.

I eventually tracked down some descendants of William Adamson Jr., brother to Aaron Adamson.  And the ones I found still lived in Crittenden County.  When I was invited to their family reunion, I jumped at the chance and decided to take my dad with me.

It was a great day for a drive to Kentucky, and we visited the old cemetery and church there before arriving at the reunion.  There was an older Adamson there who was about my dad’s age and they had a great time getting to know each other.  I loved meeting the family that I had been communicating with for some time.  Everyone there was gracious and helpful, sharing what they knew about the family.  It was a great experience and a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment