Monday, July 31, 2017

Two new records on Luke Tippett found

July is leaving us.  I had a couple of good finds this month, but now remain a bit discouraged with the questions that the finds left me.  I wrote about Luke Tippitt in November of 2015.  He was married to my great-great-great grandfather's sister, Nancy Adamson.  I have never learned what became of Nancy after Luke died (around 1826). Here is the link to the earlier blog about the family: https://suesresearch.blogspot.com/search?q=luke+tippitt

While searching Ancestry.com, I came across a listing for Luke Tippett in the Tennessee, Early Land Registers, 1778-1927.  Here Luke was listed with a Register Date of 13 May 1814 in Warren, Tennessee.  Grant or Warrant Number was 966.

A copy of the land record shows:

"I have surveyed for Luke Tippett apiece of Thomas Jones fifty acres of lands in Warren County on the Dry forks of Barren Brook, Beginning at a white oak on the North side of said Creek, running north one hundred and twenty six poles to a hickory, thence East Sixty three poles to a White oak, then South one hundred and twenty six poles to a red oak then West Sixty three poles to the beginning including the improvement where Stephen Pentfrow (sp?) did live.
                      Surveyed 26th February 1814
                      John B. Parkins (sp?), DS
                      Filed May 13th 1814
Witnessed by Archibald Barre (sp?)
                       Elijah Tippett"

What this piece of paper does show is that this is "founded on Certificate Warrant no 966 issued by the Register of West Tennessee to Thomas Jones for three hundred and twenty acres."  I don't think that the Certificate would show anything for Luke Tippett since it states that it was issued to Thomas Jones.

The only Elijah Tippett that I have in my database is the son of Luke Tippett and his first wife, Mary Vincent.  This Elijah was born about 1794, so he would have been around twenty years old when he witnessed this transaction.

The most frustrating thing that I found in July was also on Ancestry.com was a listing in the Illinois, Wills and Probate Records, 1772-1999.  The listing shows very clearly (it is typed):

" 'T'
Tippett, Luke-19"

The source shows that this listing is for Edwards County, Illinois, which is where Luke died.  I wrote to Edwards County County Clerk enclosing a copy of what I have and requested any records.  None were found.  I sent a request to the Illinois Regional Archives for Edwards County and have not yet heard back from them.

The source page shows a Citation for "Will records, 1815-1922; Author: Illinois County Court (Edwards County); Probate Place: Edwards, Illinois.

Source Information shows: Ancestry.com. Illinois, Wills and Probate Records, 1772-1999. Original data: Illinois County, District and Probate Courts.

I'm not sure where that leaves me.  This information must be somewhere! I will keep pursuing this.

3 comments:

  1. Elijah Tippett is my 3rd great grandfather. I was wondering what evidence you have that he is the son of Luke? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have concrete proof, rather circumstantial. Luke's son, William Tippett, settled in Morgan County,IL where Elijah was also. With Tippett not being a very common name, I believe that William and Elijah were half-brothers. In Luke's will,he only mentioned his children from his 3rd wife, I assume because they were quite young when he died. He had 5 children from his first wife, only two of whom I have identified with William being one of them. Please let me know if you have other information that would help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, like you I only have circumstantial evidence. I have Elijah and Luke together in Tenn. and than I found William and Elijah in Morgan County, Ill. If I find anything I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete