Monday, November 12, 2018

#52Ancestors-Week 43-Cause of Death: Edward E. Adamson

from The Houston Herald, Texas County, MO, July 11, 2002, page 8:

from Mildred Melton's Scrapbook for the year 1879:
"August 8, 1879 Prosecuting Attorney Geiger, Dr. BF Morgan, Jackson Davis, CM Hill and Beauregard Ross went to the Hamilton neighborhood up the river to disinter the body of a young man named Adamson who committed suicide on account of troubles with his wife.  Foul play is now suspected." 

I have tried to find out information about this cause of death for years.  The young man was Edward E. Adamson.  He had been born in about 1857 in Missouri.  He married Martha "Mattie" E. Eldridge in 1875 in Texas County, Missouri. I have found no solid evidence of Mattie since his death.  She may have married George Morse in 1880, but again, I do not have solid proof that this is the same woman, since she is listed as "Mattie Eldridge" for the marriage to George, instead of "Mattie Adamson". I have found neither her nor George in the 1880 Census listings. I tried to get coroner records for the death of Edward Adamson, but was told that the records don't exist. Nor have I come across any other newspaper articles about his death.  So was it a suicide or was it foul play?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    My name is Karen J Moore,
    My great-grandmother was Melissa Adamson (Lizzy)she was married to DH Wheeler, parents of my grandfather, Ferrill Ivan Wheeler and several other children. Her father was killed in Texas County Missouri in 1880. She was raised by relatives who told her her mother died in childbirth and her father was hung, both lies. He was killed in a tunnel collapse at a Flynt mine. She didn't know she had sisters and thought she was an orphan. kcmonkeybug@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great-great-grandfather's name was Isaac Adamson, father of Melissa Adamson. kcmonkeybug@aol.com

    ReplyDelete